Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Road Trip Part II

A few weeks ago I posted a short scene about two couples experiencing car trouble on a road trip. This was meant to be a humorous glance at different personalities motivated by pride, piousness, and one case of plain, good sense. Since posting, I have done some work on that piece. By work I mean simply adding to, no editing done yet (I really should do more of that with my work). This next installment features different reactions of the various personalities after the initial excitement of the episode has worn off. I hope I have captured here the wisdom and simultaneous hypocrisy of which I am too often the author, as well as the gentle intelligence and understanding of those who must put up with my nonsense (mostly my wife). While these characters reflect what I believe is the essence of my personal relationships I hope I have not written myself too much into the story. I recently heard A.S. Byatt say in an interview that writing should never be self expressive. While I believe writing is by its very nature self expression, I have tried to adhere to the spirit of that statement since hearing it and write my characters as independent entities with whom I sometimes agree and who I sometimes want to strangle. To that end, I hope you don't see too muchnor too little I might addof me or my acquaintances in these stories, and instead see only Jason, Shirley, Paul and Martha who, if I have done my job as writer well, will necessarily bear strong resemblance to characters who are all too alive and well in this world of ours. Thank you for entertaining my philosophies and holding out to the end of my ramblings. With no further ado, I present for your consumption and critique The Road Trip Part II: Beyond Thunderdome

For Part I of our exciting adventure click here

Martha: (to Paul) Do you think we’ll still get to go to Vegas?

Paul: I don’t know. I don’t see why we shouldn’t.

Martha: Oh good. I really don’t want this to spoil our trip. I really want to go see Celine Dion and Cirque du Soleil. Do you think we’ll be able to do that?

Paul: Of course we will. We can do whatever you want sweetie.

Jason: (annoyed) Before we can go anywhere we need to find out what’s wrong with the car. We might have to turn back.

Paul: There’s no need for that. If we have to fix the car we might as well go to Vegas for it. We’re closer to there than we are to home.

Jason: Yes, but we still have to get home, and if the car is breaking down now there’s a good chance it won’t be able to handle the full trip.

Paul: There’s no reason to assume that. It’s probably nothing anyway.

Jason: Or it’s something major. I’m sorry, but right now being able to get home is more important to me than your vacation.

Shirley: Alright guys, let’s settle down. We won’t know anything until we find out what’s wrong with the car. Let’s save the decision making ‘til then, shall we.

Jason: You’re right. Sorry I snapped at you guys. I’m just really upset.

Paul: It’s cool buddy.

Martha: Well, I really hope we get to go to Vegas. I’ve been looking forward to this for two months. I’ve looked up all the shows going on right now and made a schedule, and if we don’t get to go all that work has been wasted.

Jason: I need to move around.

(Jason gets out of the car. Shirley follows him. They start to walk.)

Shirley: Are you okay honey?

Jason: Yeah I’m fine.

Shirley: No you’re obviously upset. Come on. What’s wrong?

Jason: It’s just…I just wish people could think about someone besides themselves for once. I wish they could understand that it’s not all about them. Bad things happen, and even though sometimes I wish they would, they don’t happen simply to spite you. In fact, most people don’t give a damn about you or if you get to see Celine Dion. If we all just died out here most people, even people we know, would just go on living their lives as if nothing had changed. And that’s okay. The world doesn’t have to be this wonderful place that revolves around you. It’s okay for shitty things to happen and it doesn’t mean anyone hates you, or loves you, or anything. That’s just how things are. I just can’t stand it that people can’t accept that.

Shirley: I’m sorry honey, but you know they don’t do it to spite you. They’re just self-centered.

Jason: That’s the problem. I wish they would do it to spite me. At least it would mean they were thinking of me and not just their own feelings.

Shirley: Well honey, that’s what I’m here for. I wish that could be enough.
(Jason starts to say something.)
            No. It’s okay. I understand that you’re just frustrated, but please just try and realize that we’re all frustrated too.

Jason: I’m sorry Shirley. You’re right. You’re always right. It’s just so damn annoying that people can’t see things the way you and I do. I just want to shake them ‘til they realize there are other people here too with feelings of their own. I just want them to realize that it’s not the end of the world if their trip doesn’t turn out exactly the way they built it up to be in their minds. People just aggravate me.

Shirley: I understand honey. Let’s get back in the car and wait for AAA to show up. Come on. Put on a brave face for me, okay?

Jason: Okay. I love you.

Shirley: I love you too. Come on and get back in the car.  

1 comment:

  1. This is so real I do want to shake them and say - Aaargh!

    ReplyDelete