Wednesday, December 12, 2012

TED Talks and Why Life Is Great


Yesterday I was battling with a small bout of depression. I’m not clinical or anything. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m this deep artist battling crippling depression and overcoming through creativity. I’m a normal person who sometimes gets a little depressed. Anyway, yesterday was not my best day ever. I got a little cold from my lovely wife, who got it from one of her lovely fourth grade students. I woke up alone at about noon and sat around the house until 3:30 when I went to visit Megan at school before going to my job at 4:30. I was on my swing shift (working until midnight) when I found out that I’d be working today at 7:30am and not getting another day off until Sunday. Suffice it to say, it was not a perfect day. (huh, I rhymed. My poetic skills are blossoming.)

As I was moping around an empty office building(work) and feeling a little sorry about my life right now, I started looking on all my phone apps to alleviate some boredom. A while ago I downloaded the app for TED talks, but haven’t really used it before. Last night, I discovered that the app has a feature that will just play the audio from random talks as long as I let it. TED talks are wonderful because no matter the subject they are always inspiring. I slowly came out of my depressive funk thanks to the wonderful speakers who spoke of a brighter future and reminded me that I’m lucky to live in a world and nation enjoying more prosperity than any other world and nation at any time in the history of humanity.

One talk in particular stuck with me. Probably because I didn’t finish listening to it until my drive to work this morning, which just so happened to coincide with my cold medicine, sleep deprivation and caffeine buzz. This talk, by one Dan Buettner, explored the issue of longevity and examined some cultures of the longest lived peoples on the planet. It’s a wonderful talk, and I highly recommend you listen to it.



One of the major lifestyle components of centenarians is having a purpose in life, or as Dan puts it, “a reason for getting up in the morning.” I know beyond certainty what I want to do in my life, not just as a career, but a lifestyle. That’s why I do this blog, and contrary to what the gap in posts make it seem, I actually do write quite often. It’s a wonderful thing which I’ve explored in another post. This is my reason for getting up in the morning. It’s what I do. It’s who I am. Couple that with my amazing wife, family and friends, and I’m really amazed I could ever feel the slightest bit depressed. Thanks to all of you who make my life awesome. I owe you.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this video - thanks! I wonder, which part inspired you the most? I liked the part of enjoying the people around you - family and friends. Hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most significant part for me at the time was the having something to get up for every day. I have a hard time with that because my life isn't perfect(surprise surprise), but the whole talk was really great and gave me a lot to think about. I also found it fascinating and heartening that he said none of these people exercise in the traditional sense, but that they live active lifestyles. That appeals to me more than exercise.

    ReplyDelete